OUR GUIDING PRINCIPLE – RECIPROCITY
For us, Reciprocity simply means ‘a focus on the other’: our ability to move away from an exclusive focus on our own perspectives and seek to understand the perspectives of those we are in partnership with. We call this our Reciprocity Principle.
In terms of partnership success, it works like this…
We have our own ideas about any number of particular aspects of partnership and that’s great. However, we recognise that for the partnership to be successful, it is critical that we understand the thinking of those we seek to be or are in partnership with.
Reciprocity Practices are the conscious actions we can take to help us maintain our reciprocity mindset.
- Maintaining a mindset that is focused on ‘the other’
- Approaching all conversations with no result in mind, but with the sole intention of developing deeper inquiry, wherever that leads
- Continually creating opportunities for allowing the emergence of collective insight
That there will be a strong and united global peasant movement (La Via Campesina) ready and able to respond to the enormous economic, environmental and social crises that confront us…And that this movement will help us all to rebuild our lives in a more equitable and sustainable way.
Is to support La Via Campesina to lead the food sovereignty campaign and the development of an alternative agricultural model.
WHY LA VIA CAMPESINA
We believe that:
- peasant agriculture, based on agroecology and food sovereignty, is the only model of food production that offers a sustainable future for the planet and its peoples;
- the corporate driven industrialised model of agriculture seeks to deliberately destroy this peasant agriculture and the lives of those who practice it;
- La Via Campesina works actively to prevent the complete destruction of this peasant agricultural model; and
- La Via Campesina, as the authentic voice of the peasant, is the only organisation capable of maintaining the integrity and legitimacy of this model of sustainable agriculture and protecting the rights of those who practice it.
Is to build partnerships among farmers and farmer organizations, which support La Via Campesina and its food sovereignty campaign through:
- Building shared understandings
- Connecting farmers
- Supporting their engagement with each other
Our partnership strategy is underpinned by our Reciprocity principle and the use of our Reciprocity practices.